Glan Clwyd Hospital – Organ and Tissue Donation Committee
“The gift of Life; a time to reflect” – Capital Public Art
Open Submission for Visual Artist
Deadline for submissions; June 15th 2017
Completion date of artwork: Nov 2017
Project fee/ costs: £25,000 inclusive of artist fee and production costs.
NB- this must cover design, production, materials, travel, transport costs, meetings and to oversee the installation
Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board, Organ and Tissue Donation Committee is seeking to commission an established visual artist to design and produce a high quality piece of permanent external artwork to be installed within a specified location, outside the Main Entrance of Glan Clwyd hospital.
The Committee would like the piece of work to be one of “reflection” and recognise the people involved in the gift of organ donation over the years, the patients, donors and the hospital.
It would be desirable for the artwork to also reflect the environmentally and culturally rich area in which it sits: something unique to North Wales.
Public participatory element is also a preference but not essential.
Who can apply: Open to all with preference to local Welsh artist. Would best suit contemporary visual artist/ sculptor/ 3 Dimensional artist
The appointed Artist would be required to develop a detailed design, maintain regular contact in regard to developments, keep to deadlines and attend relevant planning meetings in Glan Clwyd Hospital, liaise with planners, contractors and the arts coordinator.
The Artist will be required to comply with stringent health and safety measures, including infection prevention. (specific information re infection guidelines upon request)
Production of the approved design must be made to a high standard and artist must oversee installation.
- The artist will need to take into consideration the lighting of the artwork, which must be included within the proposal and which is taken from the overall budget.
- Heath and safety is of utmost importance, as is theft and vandal proof, able to withstand adverse weather conditions and close public contact.
Interested artist will be given the opportunity to visit the site to consider measurements etc
The design must take into consideration the landscaping element, with consideration to seating/ low wall etc
The design must take into consideration the future cleaning and maintenance aspect for infection prevention and safety (information provided upon request)
- Glan Clwyd Hospital is currently undertaking a large scale redevelopment, the installation of the artwork will be scheduled to a date mutually convenient to both artist and contractors, however the appointed artist may need to be flexible with installation date.
*BCUHB will be take overall responsibility for installation and maintenance costs however artist must work alongside planners to produce a satisfactory/ approved risk assessment and method statement.
3 initial proposals will be selected from the applications
- Each of the three artists/designs will be given £500 to provide a maquette which will go to public consultation for winning bid.
- Winning design/ artist appointed and contracted
- Method statement, risk assesment and detailed design from appointed artist must be submitted by date set by Arts Committee.
How to Apply:
- Please send a brief proposal, up to date CV and images of previous recent work. Please send no more than 4 pages.
- Artist must have/ provide own Public liability cover and provide reference details.
- Links to Artist own website are accepted, however, the health board IT systems cannot access any social media or drop box accounts
Final Date for entries/ proposals June 15th 2017
Please make applications FOA Andrea Davies
Contact Details: Andrea Davies – Coordinator BCUHB Arts in Health and Wellbeing programme, email;[email protected]
BCUHB Arts in Health and Wellbeing Programme Coordinator
Ysbyty Bryn y Neaudd