How can venues and touring companies ensure that nobody is excluded from their performances because of access issues?
Accessible Performances for Disabled Audiences is a course for anyone involved in planning or programming performances. As well as covering a range of practicalities, this course looks at ways of developing audiences of disabled people.
You can make a bigger difference than you think
This course is especially appropriate for venue managers and touring companies. However, anyone who is ready to learn more about making performances accessible and developing audiences of disabled people will benefit from this training.
Five good reasons to attend Accessible Performances for Disabled Audiences
- Disabled people are customers too; we account for around 20% of the population and therefore 20% of your potential audience.
- You might think that making your performance accessible is just too expensive. Let us show you that it doesn’t have to be.
- Disabled people are often considered a ‘hard to reach’ audience. We’ll talk through marketing strategies to help you reach those new audiences – and keep them!
- Working with disabled people will really boost your audience development. Find out more!
- Under The Equality Act 2010 it is illegal to discriminate against disabled people. Find out how to avoid being prosecuted for discrimination. Go above and beyond legislation and find out how to make your performances as accessible as possible with your budget and resources.
Accessible Performances aims to help participants:
- Appreciate the business case for performance equality
- Apply equality principles to all aspects of planning, programming and evaluating performances
- Understand all requirements of an accessible performance and how to achieve them
- Use common sense and creativity to solve access problems
The 6 hour course covers a number of topics including:
- The Social Model of Disability and how to apply it
- The Art of The Reasonable Adjustment
- Elements of Accessibility – going above and beyond the legislation
- Audience development – turning ‘hard to reach’ into loyal customers
- Action Planning – for your performances
We have many years experience working with venues and touring companies to make performances as accessible as possible within a budget. We understand the challenges faced and the pitfalls to look out for, the difference that can be made with attitude alone and the benefits that can be delivered. Most of all, we understand how horrible it feels to be excluded because access needs have not been met and how great it feels when everyone is included and valued for their unique contribution.
“very informative session, lots for us to think about”
“Great presentation, and very clear and useful”
“A very comprehensive course. The most interesting course I’ve attended in a while. I felt able to ask any questions”
Book an in-house course or sign up to be notified when an open course is running. For more information contact the office or call 02920 551040